Last Updated on November 17, 2021 by Ellis Gibson (B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering)
A car computer is one of the vital parts of a vehicle. It assists the auto to operate easily and excellent performance. But at some point, this car computer can crash. In case there is a sign that something is not right, like an illuminated check engine light, you shouldn’t be overlooked. Despite the fact that many times the only thing wrong is a basic glitch in the system, you will need to ensure that your vehicle is safe to drive.
Regardless, you might need to save cash and check what is happening before visiting you as an expert. Resetting your car’s computer is easy and not as difficult as people think. All a car owner has to do is follow a few steps, and it will be up and running in no time. Below, he will find basic information about a car computer and the steps necessary to be successful.
- How to test car battery with multimeter?
- How to start a car with a dead battery without another car?
- How to change a car battery without losing settings?
- How to put a car in neutral with a dead battery?
Functions Of A Car Computer
Every car is equipped with at least one car computer. This system works by collecting information from different sensors in a car such as:
- The engine temperature sensor
- The oxygen sensor
- Air pressure and temperature sensors
With the help of details, the computer manages the engine and helps you drive more smoothly and comfortably. Additionally, the car’s computer manages fuel injectors, inert speed, spark plugs, etc. Its purpose is to ensure the outflows are also as low as possible.
Thus, what could go wrong, you inquire? Indeed, numerous things. Fortunately, if your computer has some problems, here are a few warning signs you need to check out.
- Trouble Starting Your Vehicle
We always feel disappointed when we start our car in the morning, and it fails. This may be an indication that there is something wrong with your car. One more frequent problem is the car computer failing. Always check the status of your car computer to determine if it’s ok.
- When The Check Engine Light Comes On.
Many car owners are guilty of incessantly delaying the check-up process when the check engine light comes on. Even though it’s hard to ignore, don’t do it. It doesn’t light up without explanation, so try to inspect your vehicle.
- Engine Problems
Your engine is likely to have numerous problems, such as decreased fuel efficiency and unusual engine conduct.
- A Burning Smell From Your Car
When you notice a burning smell in your car, please don’t ignore it. Always check your car’s computer to see if it is working well. Heat is dangerous for your vehicle and can cause a variety of problems.
Benefits of resetting the car computer
Resetting your car’s computer will narrow down the possible cause. In this way, you can eliminate the chances that the problem your car is facing is just a bug in the system. If the problem persists after rebooting, you should do a thorough investigation. If it disappears, you’re fine.
What you are required to do
Resetting your car’s computer without disconnecting the battery is easy and requires no professional assistance. Without removing the battery, you can follow the procedure below to quickly and smoothly reset your car’s computer.
- A pair of pliers
- A code reader
Below Are Steps To Follow To Make The Process A Success
- Locate the car’s fuse box. There should be a cover showing the fuse and vehicle amperage information.
- Make sure you have removed the cover.
- Search the two fuses, one with “Backup” and one with “ECU.” Take out both.
- Wait about 10 minutes and reinstall the two fuses.
- Take the cover, and put it back.
- After you have restarted your car’s computer, be sure to drive the vehicle for approximately 30 minutes so that you know your driving style. Whether you’re boosting performance or making your vehicle more adaptable and efficient, drive in a similar style, and your system will suit your personal driving style.
- It should begin smoothly. There should be no issues during the trip. Check the status of your check engine light. It should be off at this point.
Check immediately if the problem is resolved after starting the car. Your vehicle should begin immediately without difficulty, and the check engine light should no longer be on.
Lastly, if you have any problem with your car, you need to restart the car computer. Follow carefully the guidelines highlighted above and ensure to set enough time to restart your car. If the issue is not resolved, have the engineers examine it so that you and everyone else are safe.
- Battery For Mazda 3
- How To Choose Battery For Toyota Corolla?